Saturday Zoo Day

by JP on April 18, 2011

Weekend Wrap Up

Saturday my family met up with my wife's sister and her family for a trip to the Minnesota Zoo.  We have a month left on our membership, and time to use it up.  Between budget cuts possibly shutting down some exhibits and new construction that began last fall the place might not be on our radar much this summer.  The farm babies are also beginning to grace us with their presence now too.  We saw baby chicks, baby goats, baby pigs(really hard not to steal one and escape with a new  pet), and a baby cow.  We walked a ton.

I can remember two years ago trying to make it around the zoo paths.  It was an absolute struggle.  I'd be winded so easily.  I'd be trying to talk the wee one into spending more time watching animals he could have cared less about.  My body would ache, and my back would torture me, and it was the sweetest relief to get back to the car.  Then of course we'd drive to a sit down joint and shovel food into my yap.   Nothing like taking calories burned and putting them back within 15 minutes and adding some 1500 more just for good measure.

Saturday was a good measure of how far I've come.  We started outside despite the below average temps in the Twin Cities.  I fully assumed that since it was colder than Hoth on a warm day we'd stay inside, but I thought wrong.  I was in a long sleeve shirt and undershirt.  I am the definition of a hearty Minnesotan.  I am also the definition of a moron husband who likely didn't listen to the wife and bring a coat.  Either way, I was encouraged to keep moving.  It was the best way to keep warm.  I was a machine.  Occasionally I'd check the fitbit that was resting in my pocket and was amazed at how many steps I was racking up.  I found distances of the paths somewhere and it all added up though.  We finally made it back to the main building and prepared for lunch.  It might have been an hour too late according to a certain little kid who calls me dad. Memo to parents, follow the HALT method for tantrums.  Hungry, angry, lonely, tired.  We were working on 3/4 of that by the time we sat down for turkey sammies, fruit, and such.  He was a completely different kid after some food.  We hit one more trail to finish off the entire park after lunch.  all in all it was a really good day.  I set a personal record for steps in a day since using my fitbit.

17,839 steps taken

8.61 miles traveled

So close to 18,000!

It all added up to me finding a new loop on the belt this morning.  It's about darned time! I love the feeling of my pants nearly falling off my butt because it time to shrink.

In other less happy news my grandmother is in the hospital again.  She has Lupus and put on 40+ lbs in water weight since the holidays.  The pain of swelling and other complications have seen her in and out the hospital several times over the last two months.  A new complication is pulmonary edema.  Fluid in the lungs.  It's not necessarily Lupus related, but it's not helping anything.  Imagine your panic attack if you woke up in the middle of the night not being able to breath.  It's also no help that she smoked the heaters for 50 years.  Priorfatguy public service announcement coming down in 3…2…1… Stop smoking you dummy.  I quit, you can too.  It's not worth it, stupid, stupid, stupid.  Every cig you light is another tiny nail in your coffin.

So as I step down off the soap box I once again ask for thoughts and prayers for my grandma and grandpa.  She's survived brain surgery from strokes and aneurysms.  She is one tough cookie, but there's nothing wrong with asking for positive vibes from a ton of really amazing people.

Thanks everybody, have a great week.

zp8497586rq
zp8497586rq

{ 12 comments }

Misty @ Life Off the D List April 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

way to work it James!!!

Jen, a priorfatgirl April 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

whoa — over 8 miles? That is awesome!

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother — I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Lisa April 18, 2011 at 10:52 am

Wow James, *high five* on the activity this weekend!

Many prayers and positive energy headed towards you and your grandma. My grandma went through similar health issues and I know how painful it was for her and for us as a family watching her struggle through them. Be well!

Sam April 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Thats a helluva lotta steps there!! I too am finding it easier to do simple things, particularly with the kiddos – I played tag with my 4 year old the other night and I actually out lasted him! He was the one saying, I need to take a break mom, I’m tired! … felt good! =)

So sorry to hear about your gma – I will definitely say a prayer!

Megan April 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Over 8 miles… WOW!!! Very impressive! And I totally know what you mean about needing to stop for lunch in time to ward off tantrums… thrown by my kids and/or myself. I don’t work well when hungry. :)

Liz April 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Way to go James! You keep on walking the walk and blogging the blog!

laci April 18, 2011 at 5:38 pm

How long did you smoke? When did you stop smoking? And How? I have lost 85+lbs. since I started my healthy new lifestyle, but one thing I have yet to do is stop smoking. I don’t know where to begin and honestly I’m afraid too, because I’m afraid it may trigger weight gain.

JP April 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

I stopped going into the store to buy them. Then the hard part was removing myself from smoking situations. Keeping some sugar free gum in the car, so you can reach for it right away like heaters helps. I did put on weight, but the good thing is you have a clue now on how to lose that!

laci April 28, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Thanks JP! I just need to put my mind to it and quit! I’m getting anxiety just thinking about it lol

Vinny April 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Over 8 miles??!! Awesome job man…congrats! Oh and double congrats on the new belt loop! Nothing like having your pants falling off your ass to show progress in the weight loss LOL.

I’m also sending good vibes to your grandmother. Best wishes to you all up there!

andi April 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm

So many things to comment on here: Some of my first thoughts are:
1.) Piglets are so cute. I grew up on a farm and we used them as baby dolls (Until they got big enough to bite, ouch!)
2.) I love that you spent an awesome day with our wife and kiddo thinking about how great it was to be out versus about how miserable the walk was. If that’s not a non-scale victory I don’t know what is! (and holy smokes, over eight miles!!)
3.)positive vibes for your grandparents on their way! :-)

Momma H April 19, 2011 at 7:19 am

Whoa that is a crazy amount of steps….So excited about the Zoo. I love the Zoo! We live about and hour and a half away from the Bronx Zoo and I think that my son is at the age where he is old enough to enjoy it. I am thinking of hiring a sitter to watch my daughter and having a special big boy with mommy and daddy day to the zoo…he doesn’t need to know that i want to go to the zoo probably more than most kids. Also, sending thoughts your say on your gram. Hope her time in the hospital will help her.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: