Fire Safety

by JP on September 29, 2011

It’s sparked that inner flame in me again. I can see what I am doing again. I can tell that I had a slow morning of dragging tail around the plant or jobsite. I can tell that I am having a truly kick ass day. It’s set up with the idea that a person should average 10,000 steps for a fairly active lifestyle. This week I am averaging over 9,300 steps a day, and this includes not wearing on the first half of Sunday which would have easily put me over that magic number.

Yesterdays 15,000 stepper!

For those of you who have stuck though the lull here I thank you. I am really battling to keep this going. ALL OF IT. This part is important to me too. It’s sanity. It’s community. It’s a tool. It’s knowing that there are plenty of other people going though it. It’s knowing that if this is as bad as I have it right now . . . it’s really not that bad. So thank you.

Format

My uncle Bob will walk up to you and ask, “ya know what really burns my ass?” He gives the chance for any sort of reply, yet follows it up by putting his hand near his hip and replying, “A flame about this high”. I bring it up because every flame has a spark. Each journey has a flame. Mine had been flickering in the breezy commotion that life these days. That was until last week. I got my baby back. My little gadget. My little fitness measuring buddy. My fitbit.

Yesterdays 15,000 stepper!Based on all your basic vitals it sets up your active score. Mine is 1000, and I blew that out of the water. I am seriously pumped guys. Now if that magic food fairy could just please have a prepared healthy lunch, with snacks, for me each morning I’d really appreciate it. I am still relying too heavily on my eat this not that diet, and gas station lunches. I have days where I feel “processed”. I am also going back to my tried and true trick for cutting out the diet pop again. Begin day with coffee (it’s at least a natural caffeine), then each amount of diet Mt. Dew I consume needs to be matched with water. Typically this has been a 2o oz. bottle, but I have also snuck in an occasional one liter bottle. For shame, I know. It’s better than a two liter though. . . right?
Path:

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Valerie September 30, 2011 at 8:09 am

I’m glad to hear the Fitbit is a great motivator for you. Plus, it sounds like you’re really moving around. Good job!

I love your idea for matching the Mt. Dew with water. Have you considered matching it with double the water, though? You know, if you have a 20 oz Mt. Dew you would then need to drink 40 oz of water? I suggest this for two reasons. 1) Not only does your body need water to flush out the Mt. Dew, it also needs water to rehydrate from the caffeine (and all the moving you’re doing). 2) Maybe if you had double the water, you wouldn’t crave as much Mt. Dew. You’d be too full and hydrated to drink anything else.

Anyway, it’s just a suggestion, but I think you’re doing great. Keep it up!

Momma Hunt September 30, 2011 at 8:13 am

Ohhh this fitbit thing sounds exciting? I love gadgets..is it super expensive? Does it link to the computer or to your phone? Just curious

Mrs. D September 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

I’m so glad you’re finding your motivation!! It sounds like you’re finding your groove again! Now just keep building on that :) I think Valerie’s suggestion of 2:1 with water and sodas is great, definitely something to build towards at least.

Have a great weekend, hope to see you posting more! :)

Janelle October 1, 2011 at 1:01 am

Still here and cheering! Keep it up and keep posting! You motivate me too.

Meredith@MakingOverMerbear October 5, 2011 at 11:41 am

Woo hoo JP! Thats a great day! I love hearing that your back at it and your FitBit did the trick!

Samien October 8, 2011 at 12:40 am

So glad that you’re getting back the motivation! I need to find my spark again too and I know I will soon! I also might have to check into a Fitbit!

Biz October 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Just stopping by to say hello James! Hope you are having a great month as we start in the crazy holiday season – hugs! Biz

Kevin November 30, 2011 at 8:16 am

Another extended absence – 2 MONTHS this time.

James, I wish you all the best, but I can’t help wondering if one of the other “Next PriorFatGirl” finalists whom you beat out would have taken this privilege a little more seriously. It just seems like such a waste of an opportunity to me.

We’d love to hear from you and see you come back to blogging. But if you choose not to, then I feel bad for the other entrants who competed for this spot and are now watching you squander it.

Kris December 3, 2011 at 11:16 am

The other finalist that James was neck-and-neck with does blog on PFG under the pen name of Elle. :)
We all miss JP but many of us understand what happens when life changes and something less pressing has to slide as opposed to family, or work. He does tweet to keep in touch with friends & readers. :)

Kevin December 7, 2011 at 9:22 am

Kris, there were 10 finalists. Instead of picking 1, Jennifer picked 2: Elle and James. But the other 8 people still were passed over (to say nothing of the unknown number of candidates who didn’t even make the cut to Top 10), and I’m sure at least one of them would have been blogging more regularly than James is at this point.

Jenn took a chance on James, and he let her down. That makes me sad for Jenn, sad for James, sad for the “losing” candidates for this blogging column, and sad for the readers who have been cheated out of inspiring and insightful content.

Kris December 8, 2011 at 1:11 am

Did Jenn tell you that she felt let down by JP? If so thats great, but I don’t really feel that it is your place to air that on this blog. perhaps I am wrong, but I think if Jen wants to call JP out on his absece from blogging she would do so privately.
As for what you are doing here seriously, I like the, hey Jp we miss you part of your comment but seriously the other part of the comment feels really uncalled for. Everyone has the opportunity to blog on their own. I follow most of the bloggers that submitted for PFG and only a few of them even still blog at all.
There is a lot of pressure that goes along with blogging, especially on a site with as much visibility as Jen’s. You don’t know where life is going to take you when you start out on a journey. Things change.